Sunday, October 26, 2014

Tips for Settling into A New Office

A little under 7 months ago I switched jobs from working in a kitchen to an office job. Having only worked in an office for 3 months my entire life prior to getting this job, I learned a few things that helped me settle in.

* Bring a picture or 2. I brought in a wedding picture of hubs and I to put on my desk. It's nice to display my family and have something to look at if I am having a stressful moment.
* Bring in a care kit from home. I made sure to bring in a few band-aids, hair elastics, lip gloss, hand cream, Motrin, earrings, and anything else you may need. It's nice to have a few extras on hand in case your running late in the morning and forget to bring a hair elastic or your hands get dry. Having a couple of pain killers, or stomach settling meds are great to have on hand for that sudden headache or uh-oh after a work lunch that isn't setting right.
*Extra snacks. I keep a few granola bars, fruit cups, cup of soups and tea bags on hand so if I get the munchies or want something warm to drink then I have something in my desk instead of having to go by a drink or a snack (This can add up quickly). Some days at work I am thankful for these extra snacks as I'm super hungry and the lunch I packed wasn't quite enough. I sometimes keep a chocolate bar on hand for those chocolate cravings too.
*Candy bowl. I brought in a small inexpensive bowl and keep a variety of inexpensive candies in it. When someone comes by I offer a candy.
*Plant. My hubs brought me a plant when I first got my office. It's great to have a little fresh greenery in the office to brighten it up.
*Calendar. I use my email calendar for everything but also keep a printed copy on my desk to add in last minute things. It's great if I am on the phone, I can just look at my desk calendar and see what I have on the go if someone is trying to schedule a meeting, etc.
*Office supplies. I am lucky enough to work in an office where I can order in colored office supplies like post-it notes, sticky tabs and high lighters. Adding a little color to the office makes things a bit more fun and exciting.
*My coworker and I managed to get a couple of leather chairs for our office. They were sitting in a store room not being used so we brought them into our office. It's great to have some extra seating for visitors or if we need to hold a meeting.
*White board. My previous boss used a white board on her office door to say when she was away at meetings or on leave. It was a great way to know when she was busy or out of the office and when we could expect her to return. I use the white board in my office for the same things. I write when my coworker and I will be away on leave or flex day, any scheduled meetings or events for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment